b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Would B-hebrew discuss the name Jehovah with a KJBO Christian?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: steve AT voiceinwilderness.info
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org, davedonnelly1 AT juno.com
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Would B-hebrew discuss the name Jehovah with a KJBO Christian?
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 22:47:01 -0700

Steve:

I don’t know how good the KJV is in comparison to other translations, all I
know, is that I don’t know elderly English, so for a careful reading of
Tanakh, I was forced into reading it in Hebrew. The only English translation
we had in the house at that time was the KJV.

(The biggest problem is not the words and phrases that have dropped out of
use, but those still in use, but their meanings have changed. There are no
street signs warning about changed meanings.)

As for the translation below:

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 7:24 PM, Steve Miller <smille10 AT sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Matt 1:22 (KJB) Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth
> a son, and *they* shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is,
> God with us.
>
> This is a quote from
> Isa 7:14 (KJB) ... Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and **
> shall call his name Immanuel.

Both the Hebrew Tanakh and the Greek New Testament have “Behold, the
virgin…”, not “Behold, a virgin…”

As for interpreting “virgin” as “young woman” for this verse, what I have
been told is that this action did not start until after early Christians
went around teaching that Jesus’ birth was a fulfillment of that verse. In
other words, the earliest Jewish writings to make that claim were not
written until late first century AD at the earliest.