b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] a mystery regarding gen14:24?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: jimstinehart AT aol.com
  • To: tomasek AT etf.cuni.cz, yishalom AT sbcglobal.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] a mystery regarding gen14:24?
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 22:32:00 -0400

MMR( means “place of the Amorites”, or just “Amorite”, and Genesis 14: 13
specifically tells us that Mamre is an Amorite. Genesis 14: 13 also tells us
that two of Mamre’s fellow Amorite princelings (“brothers”) were )$KL and
(NR. ($KL means “a cluster of grapes”. The Shephelah was wine country, and
on my controversial view Abraham’s Amorite princeling confederates live in
the Shephelah (where Amorite princelings are attested in the Amarna Letters,
such as at Gezer).

As to (NR/Aner, (N + suffix is probably a generic reference to an Amorite.
(N or An or Anu is the Amorite sky-god. [The ultimate source for this name
is that An means “heaven” in Sumerian.] Many names on the Egyptian
Execration lists end in some form of –anu. It has also often been noted that
(N-R seems somewhat similar to (N-Q, with (NQ being another ending that is
found in names on the Egyptian Execration lists. All this supports the view
that (N + suffix, regardless of what the particular suffix may be in the
various Biblical traditions, could well be a generic reference to an Amorite.
Since (NR is specifically stated at Genesis 14: 13 to be a “brother” of
Mamre the Amorite, the context seems to confirm that (NR is a generic name
for an Amorite princeling.

Yet that unexplained –R suffix in (N-R remains a bit of a mystery. If we
could only figure out that particular suffix, then perhaps we might even, for
the first time, understand what historical point chapter 14 of Genesis is
desperately trying to make. So in a subsequent post, let’s ask why the
Masoretic text, which is likely the more accurate text, has that unexpected
–R suffix, whereas the Septuagint has a routine –N suffix.

If we can understand the names, we can understand chapter 14 of Genesis.
Catch the pulsating excitement of the truly ancient Patriarchal narratives!
It’s right there before our eyes, if we’ll just pay close attention to those
peculiar proper names in the text.

Jim Stinehart
Evanston, Illinois