b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] a mystery regarding gen14:24?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] a mystery regarding gen14:24?
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 20:52:19 -0700 (PDT)

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the following mystery:

In Gen 14:24, Avram's associates are Eschol, Aner, and Mamre.

However, in the Septuagint Aner is called "Aunan" and in the Samaritan text
he is called Aniram.

I have my own theory about what this is all about, but my questions are:

1 - are there other names for this character in other ancient sources
2 - is anyone aware of any discussions regarding these variants
3 - does this suggest that there was a certain degree of fluidity in the text
in ancient times

Look forward to your responses,

David Kolinsky
Monterey, CA