b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] a mystery regarding gen14:24?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Barry H." <nebarry AT verizon.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] a mystery regarding gen14:24?
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 01:41:04 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Kolinsky" <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>
To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Sunday, August 15, 2010 11:52 PM
Subject: [b-hebrew] a mystery regarding gen14:24?

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the following mystery:

In Gen 14:24, Avram's associates are Eschol, Aner, and Mamre.

However, in the Septuagint Aner is called "Aunan" and in the Samaritan text he is called Aniram.

I have my own theory about what this is all about, but my questions are:

1 - are there other names for this character in other ancient sources

Haven't a clue...

2 - is anyone aware of any discussions regarding these variants

Equally clueless... :)

3 - does this suggest that there was a certain degree of fluidity in the text in ancient times

Well, besides the spelling, notice that the order of the names is different between the MT and the LXX, the former Aner, Eschol, Mamre, the latter Eschol, Anun, Mambre. This suggest to me that the LXX translator may have had a slightly different Vorlage than the MT. As for fluidity, certainly -- just compare the DSS with the MT textual tradition.

N.E. Barry Hofstetter
Classics & Bible Instructor @ The American Academy
2010 Salvatori Excellence in Education Winner
http://theamericanacademy.net
Mentor, The North American Reformed Seminary
http://www.tnars.net/