b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" phenomenon?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" phenomenon?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:33:02 -0700

There is no real consensus. Basically, there are about as many theories as
there are
theorists to make them. My own view, set out in my 1994 Hebrew Studies
article
"Chomsky's Separation of Syntax and Semantics" is that it's not
"consecutive" at all, but is
the simple declarative clause. Galia Hatav accepts my view of the prefix
but still sees the
form encoding sequence of some kind. Our own Rolf believes there is no such
thing as a
separate wayyiqtol. And so it goes. The question as I see it involves
explanatory
adequacy: is there a theory that can explain how this form can be the common
narrative
form and yet begin a section, pericope, or even an entire book? For an
elementary class, I
would take a passing glance at all the theories and then just teach the form
as a basic
narrative.