b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" phenomenon?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: "John M. Linebarger" <jmlineb AT comcast.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" phenomenon?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:06:21 -0700

John:

You are welcome to ask questions. I’ve asked several myself (but not always
gotten an answer)

I think it can be safely said that the only consensus that is developing is
that the Qal and Yiqtol do not represent tenses, nor aspect. Beyond that, we
are still groping.

As for the Waw Consecutive, I think it is safe to say that it represents a
continuation from what goes before.

Many of us have our own thoughts as to what is happening in this
construction, but I don’t know if any can be called an emerging consensus.

Karl W. Randolph.