b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" (Joe Justiss)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Joseph Justiss <jljustiss AT msn.com>
  • To: biblical hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" (Joe Justiss)
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:55:16 -0500

John

I'm not sure if it amounts to an emerging consensus, but there are more and
more works which are departing from the traditional historical comparative
explanations of the waw consecutive forms and depending rather upon a purely
text-linguistic approach to the verbal forms which seeks to explain their
function in BH texts. I think the newer approach is logically more sound
because it doesn't start with any presuppositions about function and then
assign those functions to a BH verbal forms. Rather it begins with BH forms
and seeks to describe their function in the text. Here is a very manageable
article defining the issue and comparing Niccacci's approach to describing
wayyiqtol's function with Waltke O'connor's approach. I found it most helpful
and I think you will for what you're looking for.

http://www.reference-global.com/doi/abs/10.1515/ZAW.2009.028

Joe Justiss

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Emerging consensus (and paedogogy) on "Waw Consecutive" (Joe Justiss), Joseph Justiss, 08/10/2010