b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Embedding Hebrew in HTML

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Embedding Hebrew in HTML
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:55:16 -0700

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 11:08 AM, James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com
> wrote:

> Yeah. That's the way I've usually developed HTML pages. … In my limited
> experience it has saved me so much time just developing straight away on the
> production environment. I find these simple editors invaluable and well
> suited to the task.
>
> James Christian
>
> Years ago, Apple made a WISIWIG web page developer that produced cleaner
code than any other such program that I have seen, code that needed little
to no editing to make pages look good on any browser. It didn’t have all the
bells and whistles of some of the newer editors, but it produced clean code
well laid out so that it was easy to edit, if it needed any.

Most pages on the web are simple, static pages that need very little coding
to put on the web. Most WISIWIG editors add much unnecessary code that can
even detract from the usefulness of the page. As a result, all the coding I
do now is with text editing programs.

One warning: when mixing left to right and right to left text, because a
designer does not have absolute control over how text will appear on a
client screen, any place where embedded text of the opposite direction
appears, if it is longer than one or two words, would best be put on its own
paragraph, even if that paragraph is only one line long. It’s a lot easier
to follow that way.