b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Bible PhD programs (Joseph Justiss)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "James Spinti" <JSpinti AT Eisenbrauns.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Bible PhD programs (Joseph Justiss)
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:31:44 -0400

Bull! That is a bunch of crap, if ever I've seen it.

Sure, there are some programs like James is referring to, but not most
that I know of. The bottom line is, if you have good language skills,
the ability to communicate well (without being adversarial), and are
willing to work hard, you can find a program that probably will fund you
and a professor (or two, or three) who will support your work. When I
was at the University of Chicago, I had 4 professors (in Greek,
Hebrew/Ugaritic, and Hittite) who pretty much allowed me to chase my
interests, as long as I could prove that I knew the languages well (I
did) and could defend my ideas intelligently (I could).

Right now, the best linguistics/Hebrew program I know of is in limbo,
with a professor retiring and another one moving to another institution.
I asked someone who will know for a good recommendation and hope to hear
back from them soon.

James

James Spinti
Marketing Director, Book Sales Division