b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] b-hebrew] "Yahweh" occurs 6823 times in the Roman Catholic NewJerusalem Bible BUT occurs "ZERO" times in the underlying Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: davedonnelly1 AT juno.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew] "Yahweh" occurs 6823 times in the Roman Catholic NewJerusalem Bible BUT occurs "ZERO" times in the underlying Hebrew
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 21:45:48 -0400

Hi James Christian,
Way back on Sun Jul 25 12:15:28 EDT 2010, You wrote:

Dave,

as someone who is aware of the issues surrounding the name of God
and someone who can sympathise with your agenda
I really don't think your method of critiquing the reconstruction Yahweh
is doing your cause any favours.

The only thing you seem to be achieving on this list is coming across
as pushing a sectarian agenda and alienating your would be audience.

May I suggest you adopt a less dramatic tact
and be more honest and open about your position?

If you advance your study of Hebrew
you may then be in a position to enter into discussions of reconstructing
Yhwh.

There have been many such on this list
and your continual claim that reconstructing Yhwh has been neglected on
this list
only goes to show your lack of familiarity with the history of
discussions on the list.

This just alienates your audience even further.
I hope you can accept this constructive criticism light heartedly.

Why don't you just drop the Yhwh thing for now
until you are in a position to enter into a proper linguistic discussion
about it
and get involved in other discussions.

It could help you progress in Hebrew studies.

James Christian

_____

Dave asks James Christian a question:

I am not claiming that discussions on Gesenius's reconstructed Hebrew
Spelling "Y-a-h-w-e-h"
[Possibly from the Samaritan transcription Iabe]
or
[Possibly from Clement of Alexandria's Greek transcription "iaoue"]
have been neglected.

I am basically asking,
giving what appears to be a total lack of Masoretic Text support for the
Hebrew Spelling "Y-a-h-w-e-h",
do you believe that the God of the Hebrew Bible
is behind the publishing of these four English Bibles,
IN ANY WAY?????????

I can only assume that you agree that neither the Leningrad Codex,
nor any BHS text gives sufficient Hebrew Scriptural support,
for publishing four English Bibles in which "Yahweh" occurs 6823 times.

Dave Donnelly

P.S.

I guess I definitely am raising the issue
of whether or not Gesenius's proposed Hebrew Punctuation "Y-a-h-w-e-h"
[Based on Greek Transcriptions from several Early Church Fathers]
is sufficient evidence to use,
to publish four different English Bibles in which "Yahweh" occurs 6823
times!!!!!!!!!

Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4c4f8c4c4530c46b455st03duc
>From George.Athas AT moore.edu.au Tue Jul 27 22:01:01 2010
B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Catholic NewJerusalem Bible BUT occurs "ZERO" times in the underlying
Hebrew

The following question seeks discussion which is well beyond the purview of=
B-Hebrew:

I am basically asking, giving what appears to be a total lack of Masoretic =
Text support for the Hebrew Spelling "Y-a-h-w-e-h", do you believe that the=
God of the Hebrew Bible is behind the publishing of these four English Bib=
les, IN ANY WAY?????????

Accordingly, this thread is now closed. No more posts please.

GEORGE ATHAS
Co-Moderator, B-Hebrew
(Sydney, Australia)