b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew] "Yahweh" occurs 6823 times in the Roman Catholic NewJerusalem Bible BUT occurs "ZERO" times in the underlying Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: davedonnelly1 AT juno.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] b-hebrew] "Yahweh" occurs 6823 times in the Roman Catholic NewJerusalem Bible BUT occurs "ZERO" times in the underlying Hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 09:56:24 +0300

As far as I am aware God never sanctioned any translations of the bible. He
never even asked us to translate it. All the translations are as bad as each
other. LORD, Yahweh and Jehovah are all inaccurate translations of Yhwh a
word we can never be sure of how exactly it was pronounced. Given that all
of these translations are just as bad as each other perhaps you should spend
more time learning Hebrew and evaluating if the rest of the Hebrew bible has
been translated just as badly. From a teaching of morality point of view (if
we can mutually agree that this is one of the major aims of the writings of
the Hebrew bible) it is perhaps the quality of the translation of the rest
of the text which would guide a reader to a correct understanding of the
morality it aims to teach. Wouldn't you agree?

James Christian