b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] T-SADE

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Will Parsons <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>
  • To: fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] T-SADE
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:42:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 11:27:12 +0200, "Arnaud Fournet"
<fournet.arnaud AT wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Will Parsons" <wbparsons AT alum.mit.edu>

Short of sending a phonetician back in time, there is unlikely to be
anything that can be called "proof", there's only the matter of lesser
or greater probability. Evidence of other Semitic languages is a lot
more convincing to me than a single Greek transcription where both the
reading itself and the evidentiary value is questionable. This is not
an "aesthetical" argument.

> In addition, it's well known from Egyptian hieroglyphic that tsamekh was
> nearly doubtless an affricate [ts] (S p r scribe => t_ p r and not **s p r
> as is expected)

I would disagree about samekh being "nearly doubtless" [ts], certainly
not on the basis of Egyptian transcriptions, seeing that Egyptian
phonology is quite uncertain. (That Egyptian /t_/ indicated an affricate
seems quite unlikely considering its development in Coptic.) Even if
at some point samekh *were* an affricate, that would not be an argument
that sadhe was also.

> and as a matter of that nearly all sibilants have been used
> to write /s/ in Greek or Ethiopian but this precise one. So in fact if one
> believes in "aesthetical" argumentation, the conclusion would rather be that
> there is "systemic" support for an affricate /ts./ade because tsamekh was
> itself /ts/.

This makes no sense. Are you referring to Egyptian transcriptions of
Greek and Ethiopic or something else?

> The reference given by Barry about Latino-Punic would also support this idea
> for Phoenician. http://tinyurl.com/2ajft7x

Irrelevant for the issue of Greek transcriptions of Hebrew.

> It can also be noted that glottalization is easier and more efficient with
> stops or affricates than with plain fricatives.

I don't know why it would be so. It seems common enough in Korean.

> > Even if what Cantineau means by "old" is the IVth century AD, the
> > transcription with ΤΣ/TS (if in fact that *is* in the Codex Vaticanus)
> > would give negligible evidence in favour of a [ts] in the comtemporary
> > Hebrew pronunciation. Consider the problem of the transcriber: he is
> > faced with a funny S-sound that doesn't really correspond with anything in
> > Greek. Of course, in the text of the LXX itself, sadhe (as well as shin)
> > is regularly transcribed as sigma, since that is the nearest Greek
> > approximation to both Hebrew sounds (and indeed, most manuscripts of
> > LXX use σαδη/sade instead of τσαδη/tsade here). If the transcriber
> > wanted to indicate the "funny" sound, he had to improvise. If the
> > reading *is* TS, that might be taken as evidence that *Greek*, not Hebrew,
> > had developed a [ts] affricate in the IVth century (which is far more
> > likely).

> ***
> I don't really understand the idea.
> if the original were /s./ what is a t- doing there?
> Why is it likely that Greek should develop an affricate? out of which sound?

It's a matter of certainly that Greek *did* develop affricates. They are
quite common in Modern Greek. *When* they developed is of course more
doubtful, but they are certainly seen in Byzantine Greek. Sources are
influence other languages, and internal phonetic developments (typically
as a result of palatalization).

> > I mentioned above shin also as being transcribed by sigma. Apparently,
> > according to my sigla, there is also an attempt to indicate shin more
> > accurately in the Vaticanus, ρηχς/rekhs (resh) χσεν/khsen (shin).
> > This isn't evidence that shin was pronounced something like [ks], only
> > that the transcriber was trying desperately hard to find something that
> > would suggest the Hebrew pronunciation.
> > William Parsons

> ***
> To some extent this is also an argument against emphasis being
> pharyngeal or velar, or too much upward in the throat, as we would expect
> this kind of graphic devices for tsade if it were the case.

Right - I'm not arguing for pharyngeal/velar interpretation of emphatics
in Hebrew.

--
William Parsons