b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Asher

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uzi Silber <uzisilber AT gmail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Asher
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 06:48:00 -0400

George,
On the face of it, Asher, means one who has 'osher' - joy, one who is
'me'ooshar. I not sure why the 'osher' with an ayin which means prosperity
came to be associated with the osher with an alef that means joy. they are
different. maybe its that the two are seen as complimentary positives, ie
youre happy when youre rich?

Asherah would be the goddess ubiquitous in Canaan.
so how about it? Asher as the masculinized form of ashera?
And while were on tribal names, what about a name like Zvulun? 'Zvuv lives
here'?

uzi