b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Asher

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Asher
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 21:13:21 +1000

I’m not sure there is a linguistic connection between אשר and עשר, though I’m
suspect Isaac Fried will beg to differ.

The root אשר seems to refer to being ‘well off’ in some way. This may be
because the person is blessed, lucky, happy, or (as in modern parlance) rich.
I think the semantic range allows for all these connotations. I’d argue that
this is the root underlying the title אשרה. Accordingly, I’m not sure that
‘masculinized’ makes a lot of sense. You seem to imply by it that the title
אשרה is the root substantive, but morphologically it has a feminine ending.
So, if anything, אשרה is the feminine form of אשר (which would be the root
form).

As far as Asherah goes, my ambivalence on her identification comes from the
considerable doubt about exactly who or what she was. Yes, she may have been
a goddess, or ‘it’ simply have been a religious totem of some kind, dedicated
to or symbolising any deity (including Yahweh). The evidence goes both ways
and it’s easy to come down on either side. Personally I favour the
identification of her as a goddess, as you seem to, but I can see the
argument for an religious object too.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au