b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Asher

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Uzi Silber <uzisilber AT gmail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>, Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Asher
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 04:51:11 -0400

Boker or to all,

my son's name is Asher, named after my grandfather. Most define Asher as
something like happy and successful (some add rich too, though obviously
that really refers to Asheer with an ayin).

But at his brit mila years ago I baffled guests when I suggested in a brief
speech that his name may have been a pre-israelite name that was essentially
the male version Ashera.

I'd appreciate all comments.

uzi