b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jerusalem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jerusalem
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 11:03:44 +0300

George, you make some interesting points, especially the Greek evidence that
the shift from "Yerushalem" to "Yerushalayim" seems to have occurred during
the late 2nd century BCE.

However, I have some comments on your explanations for the shift.

1. In general, the ending "-ayim" for place-names has nothing to do with the
dual. Adoraim does not have two "adora"s, Shaaraim does NOT have two gates
(despite the recent erroneous identification of Khirbet Qeiyafa with a town
by this name). This was dealt with by A. Demsky, "Hebrew Names in the Dual
Form and the Toponym Yerushalayim", In Demsky, A. ed. These Are the Names:
Studies in Jewish Onomastics, vol. 3. Ramat Gan: 2002, 11-20; Y. Elitzur,
Ancient Place Names in the Holy Land: Preservation and History, Jerusalem and
Winona Lake, 2004, 282–290; N. Na'aman, Shaaraim – The Gateway to the Kingdom
of Judah. Journal of Hebrew Scriptures 8: Article 24.

2. The "Mishneh" ("secondary") quarter of Jerusalem, whatever part of the
city it refers to, is mentioned only in late pre-exilic contexts in 2 Kings
22:14 and its parallel in 2 Chr. 34:22, as the dwelling-place of Huldah the
prophetess, and perhaps poetically in Zeph. 1:10. In is not mentioned (AFAIK)
in post-exilic contexts. Since, as we know from archaeology, the "newer" part
of pre-exilic Jerusalem, the western hill that was first settled in the 8th
century, was totally destroyed in 586, and NOT included in early Second
Temple Jerusalem, which, until the mid 2nd century BCE, included only the
eastern ridge. When the western hill was included in the city again, 450
years after it had been abandoned, it was called "The Upper City".

3. My guess is that the shift is an Aramaism, similar to Shomron - Shamrayin,
Ophrah - Ephrayim (the place-name, not the tribe).

4. The fact that the MT, in a vast majority of cases, retains the consonantal
text without the second Yod would seem to indicate that the tradition of
reading "Yerishalem" was known and considered legitimate late enough, so that
the Masoretes, who wanted to read "Yerushalayim", felt that they did not have
the authority to add the Yod, so they made do with the vowel-points.

4. It is totally possible, that once the pronunciation "Yerushalayim" became
widespread, people began interpreting it as a dual and coming up with all
types of "midrashic" explanations, such as those that you suggest.

Yigal Levin