b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Reading Jehovah in Psalm 16:2 and in Psalm 110:1

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Reading Jehovah in Psalm 16:2 and in Psalm 110:1
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 20:44:34 +0300

Dave,

B-Hebrew does not espouse a particular dogma about the vocalization of the
Tetragrammaton, nor does in even enforce a particular scheme of
transliteration. If anyone wishes to use "Jehovah" they are free to do so,
just as others may use Yahweh, Yhwh, Yehovah, Lord, Kurios, Baal or even
Bruce Almighty. I answered your original question by saying that I assumed
that whoever used "Jehovah" simply didn't bother to change whatever source
they had copied from, and that the reason that no-one protested was that the
subject had already been discussed to death. You've now made your point. If
you want to know why someone else used one form or another, ask them
directly. If they feel like answering, they will. If they don't feel like
discussing the issue, please respect that.

Yigal Levin