b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Generation grammar and b-hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Generation grammar and b-hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 22:21:18 +0300

Hi,

so it seems we agree that even if we are to perfectly define a constituent
driven CFG it is destined to over generate. I appreciate that you have a
strict policy of separating syntax and semantics but from an engineering
perspective the approach has little importance when compared with the
results. This is not to say I have anything against implementing a
generative grammar with a strict separation between syntax and semantics it
is just that it is still not clear to me how exactly this kind of over
generation will eventually be eliminated.

I don't know if you have looked into knowledge based expert systems. This
seems to be the kind of approach you are suggesting. They are a very grey
area in the computational linguistics literature. That is to say it is
possible to find papers outlining experiments with high or near perfect
performance in some very limited domain but wide coverage remains elusive.
You may or may not have heard of the cyc project. A project which aims to
encode a basic knowledge of the universe, something like what we call common
sense.

In any case, with Hebrew I guess we'll just have to suck it and see. For me,
it is not the method so much that carries any particular importance. It is
the performance of the system. That is to say, what it all boils down to is
how the system performs in terms of over and under generation.

James Christian