b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Generation grammar and b-hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Eric Inman <eric-inman AT comcast.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Generation grammar and b-hebrew
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 23:55:54 +0300

Hi Eric,

the problems with a generative grammar can be evaluated in terms of two
criteria:

1) under generation
2) over generation

That is to say does it reject acceptable sentences or does it accept
nonsense sentences. The idea of building a grammar building strategy is to
discover a rule set which does neither of the two. When starting with an
overly generic rule we are likely to over generate but not under generate.
When starting with an overly specific rule we are likely to under generate
but not over generate.

The first problem is to define a rule set which is satisfactory in terms of
not under or over generating. If you get into the situation where you have
so many rules that they obscure the underlying general rules but does not
under or over generate then congratulations. You've just made the most
successful generative grammar ever implemented.

With a strict bottom up approach then yes you are likely to end up with a
large rule set that obscures the underlying general rules but jump and leap
for joy if your rule set doesn't over or under generate. If having the most
compact representation is your goal then once you are in this ground
breaking position you are in a good position to start experimenting with
collapsing sets of more specific rules into less more generic ones. But when
this ends up with causing problems of over or under generation to arise you
may start to question whether the 'underlying general rules' are what we
assumed them to be before we started.

This is the beauty of using technology to experiment with a generative
grammar. It puts our theories to the test by turning the theoretical and
abstract into something practical and concrete. And so the goal is not so
much that of defining a Hebrew generative grammar as that of learning
something about what the data says about Hebrew in the process of attempting
to do so.

James Christian