b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Generation grammar and b-hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Generation grammar and b-hebrew
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 14:37:30 +0300

Hi,

by syntax I'm assuming you mean the constituent structure of the sentence.
e.g. things like:

S --> NP VP
VP --> V NP
NP --> (Det) N

In the LFG formalism such rules are referred to as the c-structure of a
sentence. What are your feelings about functional distinctions? e.g.
consider the following sentences:

1) Mary hit the dog on the head
2) Mary hit the dog in the park
3) Mary hit the dog on Monday
4) Mary hit the dog on the head in the park on Monday

Sentences 1, 2 and 3 could be generated with similar c-structures but the
PP's in each clearly have different functional meanings. That is to say that
the PP in 1 indicates the part of the dog that was hit, the PP in 2
indicates where the dog was and the PP in 3 indicates the time the dog was
hit such that we can combine the three different functions and produce
unambiguous sentence 4.

For this reason I find a c-structure definition of PP's to be inadequate.
Different PP's clearly have different functions. The most common functions
being temporal PP's and locative PP's. We even see that there is some
grammatical structure to the way that these PP's can be used. Consider the
following sentences:

5) Mary hit the dog on Monday on the head in the park
6) Mary hit the dog in the park on Monday on the head
7) Mary hit the dog on the head on Monday in the park

While the common meaning behind sentences 4, 5, 6 and 7 can be extracted by
a native speaker of English some version of the sentence is more acceptable
than others as ranking experiments would show.

Obviously, I am more interested in seeing what the data says for itself than
pushing any form of linguistic theory but I predict that we may see some
similar phenomenon when experimenting with generating Hebrew. What kind of
feelings do you have for these kind of functional considerations that
transcend simple c-structure?

James Christian