b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Generation grammar and b-hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Eric Inman" <eric-inman AT comcast.net>
  • To: "'James Christian'" <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>, "'Pere Porta'" <pporta7 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: 'b-hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Generation grammar and b-hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 20:08:02 -0500

I have a question.

My understanding is that such a grammar is for defining the set of sentences
that can be considered to be valid Hebrew sentences. This would imply that
any sentence is in one of two states: either a valid Hebrew sentence or not.
My concern is that typically there are sentences which are technically valid
but which would never or rarely be used in practice. In some cases this
would be because the sentence makes no sense semantically. In other cases it
would be because for whatever reason a different sentence would normally be
preferred for expressing the given content. In other words, the question of
whether or not a sentence is a valid Hebrew sentence sometimes is neither
yes or no but rather more of a probability or set of probabilities of how
likely the sentence is to be used in practice and/or considered valid.

Therefore I'm not sure how useful this kind of grammar is as a model of the
language. It also seems that trying to build one would get bogged down in
discussions of these gray areas. I think it would be better to use a model
that had a way of taking into account these gray areas.

What do you think?

Eric Inman