b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] שבועות

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] שבועות
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 16:09:57 +0300

The festival of Shavu'ot begins tonight at sundown and ends in Israel
tomorrow night. The custom of many Jewish communities outside of Israel is
to add an extra day. Besides the usual holiday prayers and meals, many
communities hold all-night Torah study sessions, "Torah" in the wider
meaning of the study of any Jewish texts, from the Bible to modern. One
traditional reason for these all-night sessions is that according to one
legend, on the morning of the original Sinai event the Israelites were all
asleep in their tents and Moses had to go from tent to tent pulling them out
of bed. So we don't want to miss out this time around. In many communities
it is also customary to read and to study the book of Ruth, the main action
of which occurred during the harvest-time. Since Ruth is the
great-grandmother of David (and thus also the ancestress of the Messiah),
Shavu'ot is also considered the anniversary of David's birth and of his
death. I'll actually be giving a talk on Joab at our synagogue. Also, since
the Torah is likened to milk and honey, Shavu'ot is also a festival of
cheesecakes and other milk dishes. There's a cheesecake in the oven as I
write.

So have a good holiday, everyone.

Yigal Levin

_____