b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Ruth

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Ruth
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 17:18:27 +0300

And as long as we're on the theme of Shavu'ot, here a link to a nice piece
published on Jewish Ideas Daily posted over on Biblical-Studies by Hadassah
Levy

http://www.jewishideasdaily.com/content/module/2010/5/17/main-feature/1/book
-of-ruth

And here's a topic for discussion: as I'm sure most of the members here
know, the story of Ruth is set "in the days of the Judges". Jewish
tradition, and I think Christain as well, credits the prophet Samuel with
the compostion of the book, together with Judges itself. Most modern
scholars assume that the book was composed much later, in the post-exilic
period, perhaps as a reaction to Ezra's "isolationist" policies. Now my
question is, is there any LINGUISTIC evidence that would point to either an
early or a late date? Since I won't be checking my computer over the
holiday, I'll see your answers sometime tomorrow night.

Yigal Levin