b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] PTR

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] PTR
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 19:18:07 -0500

Hebrew etymology is about the meaning of the Hebrew root, not about the meaning of the Hebrew word (words derived from the same root may have apparently entirely different meaning) and its English equivalents.
In my opinion, the basic meaning of the root RAAH רעה is 'loose, free, broken, separated', and this is also the basic meaning of ראה, 'see, discern'. This is also the basic meaning of the roots of רֵעַ 'friend', רעוּת 'friendship', רעיה 'consort', רָעָה 'calamity, disaster', רעיון 'idea', תרוּעה 'cheer, tremolos', עוּר 'alert', עוֹר, 'skin', ערירי 'desultory, drossy', יראה 'fear, loss of self confidence', ect.

Isaac Fried, Boston University