b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] PTR

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Isaac Fried <if AT math.bu.edu>
  • To: berlant AT advanced-studies.org
  • Cc: B-Hebrew List <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] PTR
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 09:58:21 -0500

I will give you the gist of it. First, I believe that the presence of the letter R in a Hebrew root indicates reference to an aggregated material state. For instance, the verb, RAAH, ראה 'see', essentially means 'to separate, differentiate, and distinguish the discerned details', while the verb RAAH, רעה, 'graze', essentially means 'to roam freely'.
The root PTR, פתר, 'solve, unravel, clear-up', essentially means to 'break-up, or relieve, a difficulty'.
This root is a member of the family of roots

בדר, בזר, בסר, בצר, בשר, בתר
פדר, פזר, פטר, פצר, פשר, פתר

all of the same basic meaning.

Isaac Fried, Boston University