b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] How to pronounce the English word Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: davedonnelly1 <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] How to pronounce the English word Yahweh
  • Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 08:32:26 -0500

Hi George,
you wrote:

Dave,

I think you might have misunderstood my point (excuse the pun).
A composite shewa is still grammatically of the same value as a simple
shewa.
There is no grammatical difference. The fact that an aleph takes a
composite
and a yodh a simple shewa amounts to practically no grammatical
difference.
So the fact that the Tetragrammaton is marked with a simple shewa
as opposed to the composite shewa beneath the aleph of ADONAI means
nothing.
It is still a shewa in both cases, and that it is the point.

GEORGE ATHAS
www.moore.edu.au

George,

I thank you for your reply.
Last night, Garth Grenache sent me an e-mail on this issue.

Among other things he said:

"The compound shewas are made up of two components:
the shewa which marks vowel quantity (a reduced vowel)
and
the a,e,o which marks vowel quality (whether it is a,e, or o)."

George,

Would you comment on this issue again
using the terms "Vowel quantity" and "Vowel quality" ?

George,

I am changing the subject here (below the line)

Are you familiar with Wikinfo.
It is very similar to Wikipedia except that it allows Original
research.

Original research which addresses significant problems is especially
appreciated.
Dictionary definitions, links to websites, quotations, source texts,
and other types of information not acceptable on Wikipedia are welcome.
To edit and have complete access to Wikinfo's features,
please Create an account and login.
>>>[dismiss]

In 2007, I started a topic titled:

Can Theophoric names be derived from "Yahweh"?

Of course I only have a kindergarten / first grade knowledge of Hebrew,
but Garth Grenache was willing to add his thought to this issue.

Garth believes that the original pronunciation of God's name may be
"Yahwa",
and he definitely believes that theophoric names can be derived from
"Yahwa".

Like Wikipedia, Wikinfo provides all the Hebrew Unicodes to write
articles
using Biblical Hebrew font.

The Biblical Hebrew font is very good.
It looks good on the computer screen, and it looks even better when
printed out.

George,

Would you be willing to discuss;
" Can Theophoric names be derived from "Yahweh"
[or from "Yahwa"]
on Wikinfo, using Hebrew Unicodes.

P.S. For all practical purposes no posts were made on this topic
for a two year period, 2007-2009
but I have been cleaning up the article for the last few weeks,
and it seems to be looking better.

I still have work to do on changing the present Hebrew font to Hebrew
Unicodes.

Two areas are being worked on at basically the same time.
Garth Grenache has presented his views on "Yahwa"
and has demonstrated that Theophoric names can be derived from "Yahwa"
while,
I have been trying to demonstrate that
"Yahweh" could be prefixed to Nathan to create "Yehonahan".
I have been unsuccessful, although the Jewish Encyclopedia of the early
1900's
[plus William Smith's 1863 "A Dictionary of the Bible"]
both seems to indicate that it can be done.

Sincerely yours,
Dave Donnelly
Love Spell
Click here to light up your life with a love spell!
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=H4jL50nQ6Ead7wTe4z9wXgAAJ1BVGyITH_OGb159rldJgo3SAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARwAAAAA=