b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] How to pronounce the English word Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Oun Kwon <kwonbbl AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] How to pronounce the English word Yahweh
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:43:29 -0500

Please pardon my elementary question on this.

If I rewrite Jehovah (correcting J sound), it would be
YeHoWa
with H sound there but last H sound silent.

Do I see same way Yahweh is in actual pronunciaton
YaH-we
with my understanding of H here present but not quite English h sound
and the last h is silent.

Probably I asked before somewhere, but I am afraid I did get it clear on this.

If I may, is there any summary I can find on arguments against Yahweh
as the pronunciation of the tetragrammaton? Would it be less accurate
than, say, Ye-Ho-Wa(h)?

Thank you for your help.

Oun Kwon.