b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] How to pronounce the English word Yahweh

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: davedonnelly1 <davedonnelly1 AT juno.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] How to pronounce the English word Yahweh
  • Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:33:37 -0500

Hi Oun

You asked:

If I may, is there any summary I can find on arguments against Yahweh
as the pronunciation of the tetragrammaton? Would it be less accurate
than, say, Ye-Ho-Wa(h)?

Thank you for your help.

Oun,

In my opinion, the main problem with the name "Yahweh" is ,
[ as far as I know],
it is found in no extant Hebrew Text.

A second problem may be that I am aware of no Hebrew Scholar that claims
that "Yahweh" can be prefixed to "Nathan", to form the theophoric name
"Yehonathan".
Plus there are about 15 or so more theophoric name that start with a
"Yeho" prefix.

However both Smith's 1863 "A dictionary of the Bible", plus a 20th
century Jewish encyclopedia that probably copied Smith's words, claimed
that Yeho can be derived from "Yahweh" in only 3 short steps.

I am not aware of any Hebrew Scholar who posts on b-hebrew that has done
it.

KJBO Christians are the main Christians who critique the name "Yahweh",
while dogmatically professing that Jehovah is actually God's name.

It is still possible that KJBO Christians are right,.

(Y)Jehovah does not have the precise same vowel points as are found in
"Adonay",
but I doubt if there are very many posters on b-hebrew that believe that
God's name is (Y)Jehovah

Dave Donnelly

---
Please pardon my elementary question on this.

If I rewrite Jehovah (correcting J sound), it would be
YeHoWa
with H sound there but last H sound silent.

Do I see same way Yahweh is in actual pronunciaton
YaH-we
with my understanding of H here present but not quite English h sound
and the last h is silent.

Probably I asked before somewhere, but I am afraid I did get it clear on
this.

If I may, is there any summary I can find on arguments against Yahweh
as the pronunciation of the tetragrammaton?
Would it be less accurate than, say, Ye-Ho-Wa(h)?

Thank you for your help.

Oun Kwon.
Hotel
Hotel pics, info and virtual tours. Click here to book a hotel online.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/c?cp=3zW95m8Ed0Wf_ZsA4xm5ogAAJ1BVGyITH_OGb159rldJgo3SAAYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATRAAAAAA=