b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Hebrew Matthew (was Syriac)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Matthew (was Syriac)
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 10:43:40 +0200

>[Furuli] On the other hand, there is some
evidence that Matthew was first written in Hebrew
(the latest evidence being a Coptic manuscript
from the Schöyen collection in Oslo). >

Could you forward a description of articles/book discussing the ms and
its Hebrew connection?

While I think that it is very likely that the Jerusalem church produced
a Hebrew "Life of Yeshua" (from internal evidence of canonical gospels,
sociolinguistic expectations of a "2nd Moses"-1st-century, eschatological
community, and history/Papias [where 'words of ...' is a Hebrew narrative
title, Tobit 1.1]),
there is really no question in my mind that canonical Matthew was written
in Greek. (details would fill a monograph.)
Of course, he would have had access to material, probably in Greek dress,
that went back to Hebrew.

Unfortuantely, meaningful discussion on this list would require high control
of Second Temple Hebrew(s), literary and mishnaic, + Aramaic, + Greek,
and from list discussions in the past I would expect any thread to
become quickly
cluttered with rabbit trails. But it's a nice topic. I have an article
on distinguishing
Aramaic from Hebrew behind Greek texts coming out in a Brill volume next
year.

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicalulpan.org