b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Hebrew Matthew (was Syriac)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Matthew (was Syriac)
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 12:33:23 +0200

thank you for the reference, I think I remember seeing it, or reviews.

>this is the first example of a scholar who argues in
favor of a Hebrew original of Matthew on
LINGUISTIC grounds.>

how does he explain Matthew's 'narrative TOTE'?
It's a blatant Second Temple Aramaism.

On other grounds I've concluded that it is canonical Matthew's own
Greek style,

Theoretically it could be the Greek style of a translator,
but that is less likely. However, demonstrating that is it
"Matthew" and overlaid in Greek, and not a translator, would not be
worthwhile on a list, since it takes too much foundational buildup..

--
Randall Buth, PhD
www.biblicalulpan.org