b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Matthew (was Syriac)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Matthew (was Syriac)
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 07:22:28 -0800

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 12:43 AM, Randall Buth <randallbuth AT gmail.com> wrote:

> there is really no question in my mind that canonical Matthew was written
> in Greek. (details would fill a monograph.)
> Of course, he would have had access to material, probably in Greek dress,
> that went back to Hebrew.
>
> Canonical Matthew was written in Greek, but that does not rule out that the
original was written in Hebrew. A translation of Matthew by Matthew would
not have the same feel as a translation by anyone else.

As a tax collector, Matthew would have had to deal with government
officials, both the Hebrew speaking ones in Jerusalem, and the Greek
speaking Romans. Thus Matthew would have been able to write both a Hebrew
original, and a Greek original based on the Hebrew original.

> --
> Randall Buth, PhD
> www.biblicalulpan.org
> randallbuth AT gmail.com
> Biblical Language Center
>
> Seeing as this is a group for the discussion of Biblical Hebrew, this
discussion of Matthew is a bit off topic. Furthermore, other than a
historical reference and a few linguistic clues, the Hebrew original has
been lost, making any extended discussion of this mostly speculation.