b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Language modelling

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: "s.a.breyer" <s.a.breyer AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Language modelling
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:55:23 +0200

Hi,

good question. The way we moving from phone recognition to graphic form is
typically handled in state of the art speech recognition software is by
recourse to language modelling. That is to say we take a massive written
corpus of the target language (e.g. English) and make n-gram counts and
therefor are able to build a model of the most likely sequences of words.
Using this kind of information we are able to make statistical guesses about
how the phonetic representation should map to the perceived graphic
representation. Well trained state of the art systems used in the industry
(like subtitle generators for live news broadcasts) typically get over 97%
accuracy using the WER (word error rate) metric. Compared with human
performance this is quite competitive and so we have good reason to believe
we are working in the right direction.

James Christian