b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Perception influenced the origin of the Hebrew alphabet?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: George Athas <George.Athas AT moore.edu.au>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Perception influenced the origin of the Hebrew alphabet?
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 02:46:36 +0200

I'm not following you. What does the triconsonantal root have to do with
anything? How do you see the number of consonants in a root as a factor
which influences perception?

In any case if you want to know my view I see language as a constant stream
of wave forms and don't make the same distinction of words as you are
probably accustomed to. I see combinations of morphs. Some of those
combinations are so common and act as units which we can move around in the
speech signal and so we start to perceive them as words. But counterexamples
are not hard to find and their morph driven nature prevales.

James Christian