b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Perception influenced the origin of the Hebrew alphabet?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "James Spinti" <JSpinti AT Eisenbrauns.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Perception influenced the origin of the Hebrew alphabet?
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 10:56:07 -0500

Then what of the Ugaritic alphabet, with the 3 'Alephs, one for each
primary vowel sound? And, does that mean that the Akkadian scribe was
likewise unable to distinguish vowels and consonants; you have
ba/bi/pa/pi occurring as allophones of the same symbol. But, since the
cuneiform system was taken over by the Hittites, with an Indo-European
language, then we can say that the ancients didn't know the difference
between vowels and consonants?

Sorry, way too simplistic and far too many holes. The current theories
may have some holes, but they are much better at explaining all the
changes that occur over time. Language change generally follows very
strict rules (of course, there are exceptions, but they can usually be
predicted).

Expand your data to include more ancient languages, such as Hittite,
Sumerian, Akkadian, Ugaritic, etc. Granted most of those are cuneiform
and therefore syllabic, but how they make their languages work with the
existing signs could be very illuminating. For example, Hittite using CV
and CVC signs and still managing to get consonant clusters consisting of
3 consonants!

Or, am I misunderstanding what you are trying to say?

James
James Spinti
Marketing Director, Book Sales Division
jspinti at eisenbrauns dot com