b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Perception influenced the origin of the Hebrew alphabet?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: James Spinti <JSpinti AT eisenbrauns.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Perception influenced the origin of the Hebrew alphabet?
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 01:59:11 +0200

Firstly, we are talking here about perception. More specifically we are
talking about the perception of the inventors of the alphabet. Your use of
the word 'ancients' to include many different peoples with different
languages is far too broad and is not in the slightest indicative of what
the inventors of the Hebrew alphabet perceived.

I am more than sure that if somebody sat down with the inventors of the
Hebrew alphabet and said but surely you can hear the difference between ba,
bi and bu and accentuated those differences their perception of these
differences would be tuned. As you mention the 3 Alephs in Ugaritic show
that one group certainly perceived the difference (at least with Aleph as
the lead consonant) and felt the need to improve the alphabet.

The same can be said of the moderns. Train a Japanese man to hear the
difference between r and l sounds and he will eventually get it. Sit down
with an English man and point out the difference between the 'th' sound of
'the' and of 'thought' and his perception of the difference will be better
tuned. Ironically, even though we have to point this difference out to many
people if we were to pronounced either 'the' or 'thought' with the wrong
'th' sound they would perceive the pronunciation to be wrong without any
formal training. This suggest an active perception and a passive perception.
This example is not perhaps the best because in this case it is the alphabet
which has influenced the perception rather than the perception formulating
the alphabet but still...

We can extend this principle to the Hebrews. I have no doubt that if someone
pronounced a ba instead of a bi the quirky pronunciation would be perceived.
However, their active perception evidently didn't perceive a large enough
difference to warrant the invention of a new symbol. This situation was not
rectified until the advent of the Tiberian pointing system.

James Christian