b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aviv and Exodus 9:31

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Stoney Breyer" <stoneyb AT touchwoodcreative.com>
  • To: "'Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aviv and Exodus 9:31
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:25:03 -0600

Respecting Randall Buth's suggestion that loss of the Hebrew names for the
months reflect outside contact and influence from strata of power in a
society, Karl Randolph writes

Things like this tend not to cross linguistic lines except
when one language falls out of daily usage. I take this as just one of
several clues that lead to my conclusion that the daily use of the Hebrew
language was lost.

Neither English nor German has ever "fallen out of daily usage", yet the
month names in both are of Latin origin.