b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Aviv and Exodus 9:31

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Aviv and Exodus 9:31
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:09:54 +0200

Hi,

thanks for that Yigal. It gave me a lot of food for thought. Do you (or
anyone else) know what the evidence is for the meaning of 'aviv'?

Also with regarding to tracing the history of the astrological and
agricultural factors I would make the following observation. The documents
of the law and the prophets seem to present a more agriculturally based
people. It is the history of the Babylonians that presents some kind of
dedication to astronomy. My gut feeling at this point is that there may be
some truth to the theory of the Hebrews using these agricultural signs to
declare the start of the year. Astrological observations, like the spring
equinox are probably more the result of Babylonian or later Roman
influences.

Also, does anyone else find it suspicious that Babylonian month names
completely supplanted Hebrew ones? Apart from Aviv is there actually any
evidence of their ever being original Hebrew month names? The account of
Noah seems to use numerical references to months rather than names of
months. Could it be that the Hebrews did not actually have names for months?
Just numerical references?

James Christian