b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Iabe equals Yahweh?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Iabe equals Yahweh?
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:18:46 +0200

Hi all,

because of recent discussion I've been giving a lot of thought to
Theodoret's transliteration of YHWH as Iabe. The more I think about it the
more it would seem to me that this transliteration would better fit YeHaWeH
than YaHWeH. I is often used where we see 'Ye' in Hebrew and as Greek has no
way of representing the H consonant mid word the a may well stand for a
perceived 'Ha'. Greek B (pronounced V) comined with e standing for a
perceived 'Ve' and the final Hebrew H is left untransliterated as there is
no way in Greek of placing a final H in Greek.

In any case, I looked into this further and Theodoret is actually quite
late. Considerably later than the other competing transliterations.

James Christian

  • [b-hebrew] Iabe equals Yahweh?, James Christian, 01/15/2010