b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Subsitution

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Vadim Cherny <vadimcherny AT gmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Subsitution
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 11:00:22 +0200

If I recall correctly, Ioas is LXX for Yehoash rather than YHWH. There, -as stands for -ash, and theophoric part is simply Io. A common ancient transliteration is Iao, which doesn't seem to me consistent with Tiberian vocalization.

I have more to say on the subject at
http://vadimcherny.org/judaism/meaning_pronunciation_tetragrammaton.htm

Vadim Cherny

Yitzhak Sapir wrote:

In Tiberian vocalization, schewa prior to He with seghol would be pronounced as
a short [o] vowel. So rather than "Yehova" it would be "Yohova." Similar
transliterations can already be found in the Septuagint. For example, yhw)$ is
transliterated as Ioas.