b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Subsitution

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: Yitzhak Sapir <yitzhaksapir AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Vowel Subsitution
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2010 23:33:12 +0200

There are a number of problems with bringing in evidence from Greek
transliterations:

a) Greek has no way of representing a H consonant midword
b) Greek has a set of vowels which does not entirely overlap the Hebrew
vowels e.g. no schewa

But let's leave that aside for the moment. Which Greek transliterations are
you talking about exactly? I've seen none that support a form of YAHWEH. Are
you referring to IABA?

What do you make of these(copied and pasted from wikipedia)?

- *Ιουώ* (Iouō): *Pistis Sophia<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistis_Sophia>

*[94]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah#cite_note-Charles_William_King_1887_p._285-93>
(2nd
cent.)