b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Is the Massoretic text reliable?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: James Christian <jc.bhebrew AT googlemail.com>
  • To: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Is the Massoretic text reliable?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 20:09:17 +0200

In many respects I agree with your sentiments. Obviously, as a Christian, I
have more respect for the opinions of the original authors of the NT than
for anything else but there are still too many variables to make a decisive
decision:

1) What language was the NT written in? Syriac or Greek or both? There are
good arguments for both camps.
2) Given the above how sure can we be of the original state of the NT
documents? e.g. absence of YHWH in MSS makes me suspicious.
3) How close is the Hebrew text of NT author's day to that of the MT
(centuries later)?
4) Scenario gets even worse because Jerome was much later than MT authors.

All in all, given the above factors (and any others I have forgotten to
mention) I feel that both positions are extreme. i.e. to assert Greek or
Hebrew primacy of the various text traditions. There seems to be evidence
that both are corrupt and that careful analysis of all traditions should be
taken without ascribing any primacy to any particular tradition. I feel that
a much more balanced position is that neither are absolutely superior and
that both traditions have pros and cons.

James Christian