b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] watered ground & forming dust

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gerry Folbre <gfolbreiii AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] watered ground & forming dust
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 11:37:12 -0700

K Randolph:

With all due respect, Karl, how do you know with any certainty the thinking
the original author used when composing these lines?

The original author may have been composing a creation narrative unlike any
other throughout the ancient Near & Middle East. The author may have been
striving to insure that the Deity would not be anthropomorphized—thus,
עפר{dry, loose dust} is a natural substance of the earth that does not
lend
itself to being formed by human or human-like hands.

As to your second point: Gen. 2:7 specifically states, עפר מן־האדמה {dust
from the ground}. This context tends to weed out the idea of “dried mortar
or dried plaster” of a human dwelling (Lev. 14). The “dust” that was
consumed by the Deity’s fire was “dry” because of the Deity’s fire; all the
water had been consumed. Consequently, עפר מן־האדמה {dry, loose, dust from
the ground} is only used to describe “dry, loose dirt”. When this dirt
becomes wet, the Hebrews called that “wet dirt” by a completely different
term.

I look forward to your response.

Gerry Folbre