b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] watered ground & forming dust

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] watered ground & forming dust
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 09:08:34 -0800

Gerry:

There are two areas where I think you have it wrong.

First of all, I agree with Yigal that you apply a different way of thinking
to the text than what the original author used, and as such you
misunderstand the text.

Secondly, the use of the word עפר is not limited to dry, loose dust. It is
used in Leviticus 14 to refer to the dried, hard mud that was (and in some
places still) used as mortar between stones in construction. In 1 Kings
18:38 for dirt that had just been soaked with water. Many times it is used
synonymous with “dirt” that could be either wet or dry, most likely damp.
Its use in Genesis 2 therefore can refer to damp soil that can be formed,
just not burned and made into pottery as can clay.

Karl W. Randolph.