b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] watered ground & forming dust

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gerry Folbre <gfolbreiii AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] watered ground & forming dust
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 22:23:47 -0700

In Gen. 2:7 the author could have used the feminine noun terminology
מן־האדמה {from the ground}, as used in Gen. 2:19 and there would be no
contextual anomaly. But that terminology was not used in Gen. 2:7. Or, in
Gen. 2:7 the author could have used the masculine noun חמר {clay} and again
there would be no contextual anomaly. In stead, however, the author
specifically used the masculine noun עפר {dry, loose earth} thus creating
the contextual anomaly.

Did the author intend to create this anomaly? And, if the author did
intentionally create this anomaly; why?

Gerry Folbre