b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] regarding Proverbs 5:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gerry Folbre <gerry AT wetmountainvalley.us>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] regarding Proverbs 5:6
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 15:12:28 -0600

dwashbur AT nyx.net wrote:
On 7 Oct 2009 at 12:43, Gerry Folbre wrote:

Karl wrote:

"You did not make a word for word translation; you just made a
list of words

and your interpretation of their meanings without making them into

meaningful sentence that we can follow. Further, not all of us agree
with

your interpretations. It looks as if you have just taken ideas from
your

class and plugged them into your answer, some of us even question
what you

were taught in your classes."

With all due respect, the BHS Masoretic Hebrew Text of Pr. 5:6 is composed precisely as I presented it, and I translated each word and
bound morpheme precisely according to Gesenius´ Hebrew Grammar,
Brown, Driver & Briggs Heb./Eng. Lexicon of the Old Testament, and The Analytical Hebrew & Chaldee Lexicon. If that is not a word-for-word
translation, I do not know what is.

I would say that's a fair assessment of the situation; you really don't. What you made is an interlinear, not a translation. An actual translation would put the clauses into a form that's comprehensible in the receptor language, in this case English. Note the rest of Karl's sentence: "without making them into a meaningful sentence that we can follow." I concur with that evaluation, and I am among those who question what you were taught in your classes.

Dave Washburn

http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur