b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] regarding Proverbs 5:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] regarding Proverbs 5:6
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 13:07:52 -0700

On 7 Oct 2009 at 12:43, Gerry Folbre wrote:

> Karl wrote:
>
> "You did not make a word for word translation; you just made a
> list of words
>
> and your interpretation of their meanings without making them into
>
> meaningful sentence that we can follow. Further, not all of us agree
> with
>
> your interpretations. It looks as if you have just taken ideas from
> your
>
> class and plugged them into your answer, some of us even question
> what you
>
> were taught in your classes."
>

> With all due respect, the BHS Masoretic Hebrew Text of Pr. 5:6 is
> composed precisely as I presented it, and I translated each word and
> bound morpheme precisely according to Gesenius´ Hebrew Grammar,
> Brown,
> Driver & Briggs Heb./Eng. Lexicon of the Old Testament, and The
> Analytical Hebrew & Chaldee Lexicon. If that is not a word-for-word
> translation, I do not know what is.

I would say that's a fair assessment of the situation; you really don't.
What you made is an
interlinear, not a translation. An actual translation would put the clauses
into a form that's
comprehensible in the receptor language, in this case English. Note the rest
of Karl's
sentence: "without making them into a meaningful sentence that we can
follow." I concur
with that evaluation, and I am among those who question what you were taught
in your
classes.

Dave Washburn

http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur