b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] regarding Proverbs 5:6

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Gerry Folbre <gerry AT wetmountainvalley.us>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] regarding Proverbs 5:6
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 10:42:33 -0600

K Randolph wrote:
David:
One problem with the translation below, “ponder” is not in the Hebrew verse.

Karl W. Randolph.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 11:52 PM, David Kolinsky <yishalom AT sbcglobal.net>wrote:

Dear Karl:

with regard to what you wrote:
Every time I read this, I stop and puzzle over it. And when I look at
translations, it is obvious that I am not the only one.
One option is that here we have a corrupted text.
Another that came to me this morning is that ?? PN does not mean ?lest?
rather it is the imperative of ??? PNH meaning ?to face, turn towards?.
Any thoughts?

I would suggest that PN is indeed related to PNH always.
PNH means: "to show different face, to face, to turn, to give s.thpriority,
to turn away, to turn out, to prepare a surface, to clear out,
toempty out."

PN when we think of it as meaning lest, more specifically and literally
means :

"about facing from the case that"

Therefore:

Gen3:3 = And you shall not touch it about facing from the case that you
shall die

Gen3:22 = And now, about facing from the case that he would send forth his
hand

Gen11:4 = And we shall make for us a name, about facing from the case that
we would be scattered about the face of the earth

Pr5:6 = About facing from the case that she would ponder a path of life,
her paths wander, she would not know it.

David Kolinsky
Monterey, CA

David & Karl:

The following does not follow the Source Text:

“Pr5:6 = About facing from the case that she would ponder a path of life,

her paths wander, she would not know it.

At the conclusion of Pr. 5:6 the clause “not you know” presents us with a 2^nd person pronoun not a 3^rd person feminine pronoun: Lamedh Aleph = *not* Tav Daleth Ayin = *you know*. The 2^nd person pronoun here would be referring to the “son” to whom the father is speaking.

The Piel {i.e. intensive} verbal clause Tav Pe Lamedh Samek = *you intensively make smooth* {referring to the “path of life”). There is absolutely no 3^rd person feminine pronoun in this Piel verbal clause. The 2^nd person pronoun here would also be referring to the “son” to whom the father is speaking.

Karl wrote:

“The problem I have with this “translation” is that it does not follow word

for word the Hebrew text. It adds to the text.

I suspect that Karl was referring to the King James Version, and not my word-for-word translation of Pr. 5:6.
I would suggest that examining some of the grammatical and lexicographic sources now available to us would help clear up some of the confusion regarding Pr. 5:6.

Gerry Folbre