b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Frustrations with Hebrew in MSWord

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Phil King" <phil_king AT sil.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Frustrations with Hebrew in MSWord
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 00:19:26 -0400

Hi Charles,

I've not used SBL Hebrew and I'm not sure exactly how you have your system
set up. Do you have a Hebrew keyboard that comes on automatically when you
start typing Hebrew, or do you have to type intricate key combinations to get
different letters / symbols that you want? When you say you have set the
complex script font to SBL Hebrew, what style is that for (you needd to have
it for normal style and thus for everything based on it)? I wonder if it is
possible that when you try to type a particular Hebrew letter through a
certain key sequence you hit upon one of the preset shortcut keys that resets
the style you are writing in. For example, I think ctrl+Q resets the format
of the paragraph, ctrl+shift+Z resets the format of the character, with the
default settings. If the style you have set up with SBL Hebrew as the complex
script font is not the 'normal' style, then hitting ctrl+shift+N would reset
to Normal style, and you might lose the font setting. You can see other possi!
ble shortcut keys you might be hitting under tools>customise, go to
'commands' tab then 'keyboard' and look under 'format'.

I'm also wondering if in your style you have the complex script language set
to Hebrew, as well as setting the font to a Hebrew font? I guess so?

Phil