b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Corrupt MT

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Corrupt MT
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 09:26:51 -0700

Rolf:

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 5:02 AM, Rolf Furuli <furuli AT online.no> wrote:

> Dear list-members,
>
> I have the following question: Which examples would you give of
> words, expressions, or clauses in the Masoretic text that are
> unintelligible and probably represent a corrupt text?
>
> Best regards,
>

> Rolf Furuli
> University of Oslo

Another verse is Genesis 49:10 where שילה as far as I know has no known
meaning.

The LXX translated it as τα αποκειμενα αυτω where the -H suffix is
recognized as an archaic form of the third person masculine -W suffix, the L
as the L- prefix and $- as the shortened form of )$R, used most often in
Qohelet. I understand (I could be wrong) that there are a few MSS that write
it as $LH.

It could be that this is an archaic form of the $- prefix from the time of
the Egyptian third dynasty when the blessing was given, of which this is the
only example that survived.