b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Corrupt MT

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: K Randolph <kwrandolph AT gmail.com>
  • To: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Corrupt MT
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 06:06:40 -0700

Kenneth:

On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 11:09 AM, kenneth greifer <greifer AT hotmail.com>wrote:

> Mr. Randolph,
>

> You said that Psalm 22:17-18 does not make sense as "because dogs have
> surrounded me, a company of evildoers has surrounded me like a lion, my
> hands and my feet..."
>
> There is no verb attached to “hands and feet”, not even an implied one.
This is an incomplete sentence.

“because dogs surround me, a congregation of those who cause displeasure
encircle me, they distort my hands and feet, I count all my bones, those who
look at me stare.”

That’s the translation one gets from the Nahal Heber scrap, which is the
same as I previously concluded should be correct based on the context,
syntax and sentence structure.

> You said that it needs a verb that you probably translate as "they have
> pierced my hands and my feet."
>
> Though that is the LXX reading, the verb seems to have the idea of
distorting, making unnatural in form.